I don't have a mantle over a fireplace or even a shelf. So I hang a garland at the foot of my bed. It is an ordinary garland made up of faux greenery, icicles and pine cones. But the ornaments on the garland make it very, very special.
My parents were married in September of 1967. They had but one Christmas together before my dad passed away in February of 1968.
They lived in a small apartment in the Bay Area. I like to think about the conversations they must have had when they were selecting the ornaments for their very first Christmas tree. Did they pick the soft color palette of pinks, blues, yellows and greens because they were dreaming of their baby? (Yes, me.)
I love to imagine the soft laughter and gentle kisses that were exchanged as they tenderly hung the shiny new ornaments on each branch.

After my mother passed away, my Grandma Mary (her mother) kept them in storage.

After my mother passed away, my Grandma Mary (her mother) kept them in storage.
The first year I was married money was very tight. I thought that there would be no decorations. My grandmother had other ideas and presented me with these ornaments. It was so bittersweet.
Over the years the ornaments have been unpacked many, many times. They have hung on several trees in many different states and countries.
Some of the ornaments are no longer able to be hung on a tree or garland. I have placed them on my nightstand next to an angel that also belonged to my mother. She plays "Silent Night".
Although a few have been lost and many are scratched, all are treasured. All are a rememberance of a long ago love.