Wedding Dress
Wedding

Sewing room makeover

I recently received a business call from a woman who said she had rearranged her sewing room until she was blue in the face and still could not get it to look right. She said that she had a $300 budget and asked if I could I help.


At the consultation I immediately knew it would be a fun job, but very challenging. She had several knick knacks that were very precious to her and they would all have to be incorporated in the room redesign. The was the head on BEFORE shot:


The head on AFTER shot:
At times a wall of cabinets is a good thing. But in this case, they really made the tiny room look even smaller. I told her I wanted to separate the cabinets and take the doors off. To keep costs down she and her husband did this while I worked on other parts of the room.
BEFORE:
AFTER: Ah, breathing easier. The cabinets to the left were anchored into the wall. Its height is balanced by the big quilt.
This wall needed a bit more personality.
BEFORE:
The tchotchkes were moved around on the shelves and like items were placed together. An art grouping helps to balance the strong quilt on the opposite wall.
AFTER:


Left corner BEFORE:


AFTER: (Whoops, I forgot to remove the cardboard tube for fabric.)


Right corner BEFORE:


Right corner AFTER:


One of the biggest obstacles I face as a decorator are the HGTV devotees who believe everything can be done in 30 minutes. (Smile.)
This room took four hours with 3 people working on it. There was no sewing or painting involved and the removal of the cabinet doors doesn't exactly qualify as construction.



But all in all, a very cute redo that was very budget friendly.